Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Heroes and Misspellings


Tim Placher was back in action in yesterday's Herald News with a response to reader comments about his previous column regarding Joliet's fine dining establishments. In his response, Mr. Placher touched on an issue that has mystified me for years, regarding Heroes and Legends: "Then, I don't suppose you're going to mention her establishment has the word 'Heros' spelled wrong on one of its Jefferson Street business signs." I've always wondered about this issue; are the owners of H & L hip to an alternate spelling that I'm just not aware of? Could they not afford the extra "e", similar to Samy's budget constraints on purchasing of "M's"? Do they fear continuity? I checked the Heroes website, and Heroes is spelled correctly throughout its content, so what's the deal? Feel free to send me your most creative answers, and I will post them on the website; the winner will win. . .something. However, this is not the only spelling problem H&L has; eagle eyed reader Melanie of Joliet spotted an announcement on their marquee about the upcoming performance of "Bra Pack."

In other news, I taped the model show with the Joliet girl while I was out to dinner with Joe and Angie at Red Lobster, and she didn't get kicked off yet. Go J-town! Speaking of Red Lobster, we had a rather wacky waitress: first she asked us if we wanted any virgin daiquiris (I know we look young, but come on! I was tempted to ask her for a "Whore Daiquiri"), later gave me moist towelettes for my "little fingers," and, my personal favorite, informed us that "Chef" had prepared a special salmon dish that evening. I'm sorry, but "Chef"? We're at Red Lobster, not exactly a place for creative culinary masterpieces. I half expected Chef from South Park to emerge from the kitchen singing, "I'm gonna make love to you Cheddar Bay biscuits. . ."

I've received a lot of positive responses to my first guest entry, and the next author could be you! If you have a particularly entertaining encounter with Whiskey Tango, drop me an email or comment on the website and we'll make some arrangements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!