Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Whiskey Tango Recommends. . .



Keeping with my goal of writing every weekday this week, I have a new feature for Whiskey Tango readers. Although it may seem that I spend all my reading time going over the Herald News with a fine tooth comb, I've read several books recently that I think Whiskey Tango readers would enjoy, so I'm going to pull an Oprah and give a few recommendations.

1. Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman: This book details the author's life growing up in North Dakota as an obsessed fan of 1980's hair metal. It's absolutely hilarious and made me want to go CD shopping for some Poison and Bon Jovi.

2. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman: Also by Klosterman, this book is a collection of pop culture essays on topics that range from Saved by the Bell to The Sims to Guns N' Roses cover bands. Good stuff.

3. Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty: These are two of my all time favorite books. These novels center around the journal of Jessica Darling, a sarcastic teenage girl growing up in a town in New Jersey that seems to have a lot in common with our beloved J-town. Though they're about a teenager, they seem more geared to an older audience and are incredibly funny. I've rarely seen a teenage character written so well in books or movies.

In terms of other (not Whiskey Tango related) book recommendations, I have to go with a few Beatles biographies (A Day in the Life and Ticket to Ride), and of course the Harry Potter series (I rank them, from best to worst, though they're all great, 4-3-5-1-2). That's about all I have today, more news tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!