Thursday, June 12, 2003

The ID Police-a "Heroes and Legends" guest entry by Megan


Friday night's Brat Pack concert at Heroes and Legends included a little scuffle with security on the dancefloor. Reader Megan of Crest Hill provides us with the details.

The Brat Pack was playing in town so of course we head out to see them. Upon entering the bar we paid $5 cover and get a black paper bracelet with yellow smileys on it-for what reason--I have yet to figure out. (Note from Emily: when Melanie and I got our bracelets, the guy at the door told us that he was giving them to "pretty girls." However, Melanie's brother entered after us and got a bracelet, so it's a mystery.)

We girls are mingling and finally I decided to get a beer. Soon after we head out to the dance floor and dance to a few tunes. Nancy leaves to go outside, while Em, Sarah and I continue to dance. The three of us were given floral headbands by the lead lady singer chick. 2 dances later Nancy then rejoins us and a guy in jeans and a T-shirt approaches us and asks to see our ID's. So we all show him and he believes everyone's ID but mine. He then asks for another form of identification (which I don't have b/c its Heroes and I have been going over there for over a year). This guy then asks another question but he can't hear my response and makes me go out of the bar in-between the 2 doors.

He proceeds to ask my address and birthday. He still doesn't believe me, and asks my height and weight. I said, "Wow, that was 2 years ago so I was about 5'1 and 105 lbs." So he asks if I lied on my ID and I said no--I have gained a couple pounds, cut and dyed my hair so the pic doesn't really look like me. He then hands my ID to his partner and says, "Do you believe that she is 5'1?" He said yes. So at this point I am pissed and whipped out my phone and I said to these fellas, I will call someone at my house and have them bring over my birth cert, SS card and forms of Ids to prove to you both that I am 22. He says, "No ma'am that is not necessary." I said, "Yes it is, first you accuse me of underage drinking, now you accuse me of lying on my ID not to mention embarassing me in front of the whole bar, I am going to prove to you that I am 22." Again he said that is not necessary, but I responded with yes it is --we'll all wait here outside the bar, I only live 5-8min away and this will be all solved. He then told me he'd let me back in the bar this time, but take this as a lesson: always carry 2 forms of ID and never lie on it. So I went back into the bar and turned to him and said, "If in the near future I decide to cut or dye my hair, gain or lose weight, I'll be sure to head over to the DMV and update my ID so it looks like me."

The lesson I learned from this experience: Just because he asked to see my ID, I have every right to see his, because being in plain clothes and having a gun might not make him a cop!!!


I have one thing to say: if our beloved flashlight shining bouncer was there, this whole situation would not have happened. Where's the love, Heroes? Considering that a male bargoer asked one of the employees to ask Nancy and I if we would touch his "hisness," and the employee complied, I think they might need to get their act together. I'll be back soon with tales of the Wheel. . .of. . .Fortune!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!