Friday, August 20, 2004

Breathe

Song on the radio=the above by Melissa Ethridge. In the immortal words of my cousin Dave, "Melissa, quit your whining." Overall, I am not a fan of chick rock. I have only recently become able to tolerate Sheryl Crow.

So I thought I'd do a brief update on last night before I forget everything as usual. Kudos (but not a real Kudos bar, if I had one I'd eat it) to All Around winner in gymnastics Carly Patterson. Besides the artistry, of course, half the fun of watching gymnastics is noting the girls' woeful mistakes in hair and makeup. With all the glitter those girls wear, my mom wondered if they have endorsements lined up with
Claire's. My co-worker informed me that while she was watching Carly Patterson stand on the podium and receive her medal, all she could think was, "I bet Emily's making fun of her eyebrows right now." Alas, I was at the bar during Carly's coronation, but that thought had definitely been running through my head earlier in the evening. She's a cute girl and an awesome gymnast, but on a more superficial note, her eyebrows look like commas! Go easy on the tweezers, Carly.

So last night was another Heroes night, and overall a good time. Though my odd interactions were limited to avoiding the giant beam of a man who reminded us of a leprechaun, and having my hand grabbed (as though he was going to pass me a note) by an unknown passerby, special correspondent Guy Whose Name I Can't Remember (aka G.W.N.I.C.R) was on the case throughout the evening, informing me of Whiskey Tango news bites that might previously have gone unnoticed. First, there was a sighting of the Mother of all Swollies, as worn by an inebriated acquaintance of Mike and Brian. I was more concerned with the fact that he had materialized out of nowhere than his apparel, so I'm glad the swolly was noted. There was also the spotting of a guy, who, apparently attempting to make himself look more "swoll," was wearing the world's tiniest yellow polo shirt that appeared to have been purchased at
abercrombie (lower case abercrombie=kids version of Abercrombie and Fitch. I learned this the hard way when I walked in to abercrombie to buy jeans and was concerned when the pants looked like they would fit an American Girl doll). Perhaps since he was skimping on clothes, "Banana Joe" decided to compensate by putting an entire bottle of gel in his hair. Also noted by G.W.N.I.C.R. was a beer garden brawl that occurred while I was inside. Apparently a bean bag game was interrupted when someone kicked one of the wooden base things (note: check out this H-N column about bags. Who knew that people called it cornhole?). The fight was confirmed by Heroes employee Beer Garden Bouncer (I don't know his name, but thanks for the inf0!), who had his shirt torn in the struggle. While no bags were hurled at anyone's heads, beer bottles apparently were instead. In DJ news, music was overall pretty good, the game for the night involved couples switching shirts (must we always be kinky, Eddie C/Z?), and it was announced that next week will be Hollywood Jim's last night. They've been saying that for a month, so as in the case of promised opening dates for downtown Joliet's Sapphire Club, I'm not counting any chickens. That's all for now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groovy, Baby!

The Mamas! The Papas! The windowpane! What a shocker as I click in for my fix of the thoroughly modern scoop on J-Town, and find that I have been magically transported to my formative years.

DeGe, in your youthful innocence, you seem to have inadvertently constructed a website immediately reminiscent of Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In, Twister, and the color scheme of every kitchen from my sordid adolescence. You have a soul of the 60’s.

Well Done, Good And Faithful Servant.

That is all.

Dirty Rog

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's right! The green/yellow theme reminds me of my parents terribly outdated green, yellow and orange kitchen (which used to have an avocado stove and refrigerator). Except that I think your polka dot theme is actually pretty spiffy. Also, thanks to you, "Boogie In Your Butt" has been stuck in my head for two days. Joe's reaction to the song was awesome: "I literally cannot wipe the smile off my face!" Go on with your bad self, Eddie Murphy. I still think I like "Party All the Time" better though.
Shannon

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!