Friday, August 05, 2005

Thursday Night's All Right For Fighting

So last night was hilarious. But first, a couple blotters:

Medical device stolen
JOLIET — Staff at a West Side urologist's office discovered Wednesday that a hand-held bladder screening device was stolen.
A representative of Advanced Urology Associates at 812 Campus Drive reported to police Wednesday that the $890 machine had been stolen, likely around July 19.
The machine is quite small and both patients and staff had opportunity to take it, police said.


They may have had the opportunity, but did they have the desire? I assume the thief planned to try to sell it to Remco or something rather than use it at home.

Woman threatening tattoo parlor
JOLIET — A woman angry at a delay in getting her nose pierced has been harassing and threatening the employees of a tattoo parlor, police said.
The woman has repeatedly called Wolf's Fine Line Tattoo since a July 30 visit to the 1117 Plainfield Road body art parlor, police said.
The woman stopped in on that day to get her nose pierced but was told the procedure could not be performed until 9:15 p.m., police said. She reportedly "became agitated" and left the establishment.
She since has been calling the tattoo parlor and making threats, police said.
The woman may have been wearing a Wendy's uniform when she stopped by at the end of July to get her nose pierced, police said.


I'm really glad to get that crucial info about the Wendy's uniform. Now all I can picture is Dave Thomas's redheaded cartoon daughter with a nose ring.

So, last night we went to Jameson's, my favorite Thursday night hotspot. There was drinking, dancing, chats about the current condition of Taylor Street (I fear for Linda's Pizza), and the usual mockery. There was also fighting, but I'll get to that in a second. It was a night of a thousand stars: Legal Larry made a brief appearance, I ran into Fivetone Jerry (who later on was shaking his groove thang on the dance floor), and at the end of the evening, there was even a cameo appearance by Al, the former "Bouncer on a Box" from Samy's. As usual, there was a strange encounter with a random stranger, this time an older softball playing gent who felt the need to adjust my skirt, which kept twisting around, not once but twice. I would have protested but I was so shocked and amused by what was occurring that I couldn't get up the strength. The music was decent, and improved when the DJ finally got over his need to play everything Gwen Stefani had ever recorded. I love Gwen, but not that much at once. But all adventures pale in comparison to The Fight.

We were hanging around when all of a sudden, bar patrons, mostly males, started beating a hasty retreat outside. Having a flashback to Troy Junior high fight mentality, in which you could find a fight by following throngs down hallways, I followed, of course, but didn't see anything and walked back in. Then suddenly there was the biggest fight I've ever seen outside. It seemed like a million dudes were involved. Local statistician Wendy estimated about 30. I was reminded of the big ass fight from Anchorman, only without the bizarre weapons. It would have been awesome if Ben Stiller had popped in and yelled, "Como estas, bitches!" The highlight for me was when a girl tried to get involved and wiped out on her platforms. The way that guys get involved in fights just cracks me up, it's as if they smell the testosterone and feel the need to join in immediately. Diane and I had a good time doing commentary on the fight from the beer garden, which unfortunately took on the aroma of armpits after a while. I think the only thing that would have made the scene more surreal would have been a soundtrack of the music from Platoon or something. Actually, at one point the song playing inside was the "Push me, and then just touch me, so I can get my satisfaction" song, so that was probably pretty appropriate. Eventually la policia arrived and the bar got shut down. We hung out out front for a while and chatted with other rubberneckers before heading over to Larsen's for a slightly less bellicose experience. I love the laidback vibe of Larsen's, and mostly I like the fact that I can sit in that window seat area and sing along to Journey without mockery. It's always nice to end an evening with an impromptu performance of "When the lights go down in the cit-ay." Note: Britney and K-Feds danced to that for their first song at their wedding. Thanks for stealing my song, skanks. Note: there were no chicks doing their hair in the bathroom last night, and for this I am pleased. Unfortunately The Fight was not in the blotter today, but I have high hopes for tomorrow. One final fun thing: check out this story. I've never liked Creed, so I thought it was hilarious.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God I was only there for one and left before the donnybrook

4:52 PM  
Blogger FiveTone said...

That was some brawl alright. I think it all started when a very cute brunette started going off on some dork, then completely doused him with a drink. Then some lug jumped in and started pummeling the poor doused dork. It was pure chaos after that. The fight was like a brush fire, spreading around the bar, outside, and just when it seemed to subside, it would flare up again.

At one point during the fight, one of the bartenders said one of the stupidist remarks I've ever heard. He yelled at the DJ to play some "white" music, as if the fight was caused by playing too much "black" music. What an idiot! What a way to ruin a pefectly fine evening of Jerry dancing.

5:13 PM  
Blogger DaGoose said...

Legal Larry: props for the use of "donnybrook." I think I'm going to try to use it as much as possible now.
Jerry: I wonder if the brunette was the same one I saw wipe out in her platforms. She looked like she could have been an integral part of the proceedings. I can't believe the bartender's music comment: did he think that more Gwen Stefani would promote goodwill?

5:45 PM  
Blogger FiveTone said...

I'll bet it was the same brunette. I believe she had on a pink top. I'm sorry I missed her spill. I'm also sorry I missed your commentary during the fight. Pray tell!

Actually, the fight wasn't the only remarkable thing about last night. There were a group of girls celebrating a birthday or something, doing copious shots. Then somebody pulled out a camera and it's hard to describe what happened next. I think they were posing like they were in some wild group sex scene, but with clothes on. I tried to recreate the pose for my friend Michelle, and she it looked like I was blowing a fart on her. The centerpiece of the orgy was a rather tough looking blond weightlifter girl. Did anyone else see this?

6:11 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

After I left Jameson's, I text messaged Felipe to tell him how his ex cornered me in the bathroom (She greeted me with a somewhat hostile, "Shannon Mac! You don't remember me, do you?").

Later, he called to tell me that she started drunk dialing him after she ran into me. Appparently many of her friends were involved in the brouhaha, according to Senor Phil, who had this to say about the ex's new group of friends: "Nothin' but class, I tell ya."

Upon leaving Jameson's, I had my first real Cops: Joliet moment: I got to see a very short cop handcuffing a large, bedraggled slob and shoving him into a squad car. My life is now complete.

"White" music? What is that, like Celine Dion? When I'm at the bars, I'll stick to my Fitty, thankyouverymuch.

8:26 AM  
Blogger DaGoose said...

Shanny,
Was it Officer Jim?

1:31 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I don't think so, but that was my first thought when I saw the arrest going down.

3:53 PM  
Blogger DaGoose said...

Haha. Yeah, that girl was wearing a pink shirt. I guess she was the Helen that started the Jameson's Trojan War.

3:55 PM  
Blogger FiveTone said...

Yeah, it happened right in front of me. She was really yelling at this guy about something, then hit him squarely in the face with a full drink. The guy just turned away with a hangdog look on his face that suggested to me that he had been caught cheating. The lug that jumped him, setting off the melee, was just some random guy who happened to see this and decided to defend this unknown girls honor. She was pretty hot.

Nice historical reference BTW :)

11:38 AM  
Blogger FiveTone said...

Fight update: I went to Jameson's Sunday night, it was dead, but I talked to the manager and he said the dork grabbed the brunette's ass, so I guess the dork deserved the pummeling after all.

Also went to St. Joes Sunday night, no smokies to report. McBrody's had a reggae band, but it was dead also. Don't any J towners go out on Sunday nights?

10:49 AM  
Blogger DaGoose said...

Jerry,
Thanks for the update! I appreciate you getting the scoop. I don't know if I could do it with a straight face. As for Sundays, good question. I don't go out much on Sundays, though this week I went to Romeo Fest. St. Joe's was dead too?

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!