Thursday, July 31, 2003

What You Crave?


The White Castle on Jefferson continues to be the hot spotfor crime in J-town, according to the Herald News. Read the whole article for details (it's a little long to put in here), but here's the Cliff Notes. A couple off-duty officers were enjoying Sliders at the local Castillo Blanco when they saw some men giving female customers a hard time. They went to break it up, and one of the cops ended up getting hit in the head with a sap. This continued into a fight that "spilled out of White Castle and into the parking lot." Luckily, the sap was recovered. My main question is this: what the heck is a sap? I assumed it was some kind of tree branch, and wondered what would make someone bring it into White Castle. Realizing I was probably wrong about this, I did some research. According to dictionary.com, "sap" has several definitions. My two favorites were "a gullible person; a dupe," and "a leather-covered hand weapon; a blackjack." While the image of someone hitting someone in the head with a "gullible person" was quite amusing, I assume that the sap in question was indeed a "leather-covered hand weapon." I also doubt that maple syrup was involved in the melee, unless it was used as a dipping sauce for "chicken rings." Speaking of which, I have a surprising confession: I have never eaten White Castle in my life. I was tempted by the offer of chicken rings once, but I just don't feel that chicken should come in ring form, it's not a Life Saver for goodness sake. When and if I ever eat White Castle, I will be sure to document it for Whiskey Tango.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!