Tuesday, May 14, 2002

Whiskey Tango Movie Review: Spiderman


Last night Nate and I went to see Spiderman at Movies 8. As usual at the J-town theaters, there were several small children at a 9:30 show on a school night. Overall I liked the movie, it had more unintentionally funny moments than real ones, but the effects were cool. I was quite impressed with how much Tobey Maguire bulked up for the role, but I still can't find his face attractive because I always picture him dressed up as Screech on Saturday Night Live. I don't usually mind Kirsten Dunst, but I just found her voice really annoying, so I just kept laughing at inappropriate moments. Kirsten definitely was the main source of the Whiskey Tango factor in this movie, she wore clothes that looked like Kelly Kapowski's hand me downs. It was definitely an entertaining film though, but it had a few odd and disturbing elements I need to highlight.


1. The costume of the villain, the Green Goblin, was really lame. I found Willem Dafoe, the actor who played the character, much scarier when he was dressed as a normal person (his face looks like it's made of elastic) than in his costume. The head of the costume has this big fake mouth that looks like it's always open. Somehow mouth breathers just don't scare me. Look at P. Diddy-he's not scary! Also, it bothered me whenever the Green Goblin and Spiderman talked to each other. Between Spiderman's lack of mouth and Green Goblin's gaping mouth, the non-moving mouths reminded me of a Japanese monster movie.


2. Unnecessary Macy Gray. The unnecessary performance of an annoying pop star in this film is second only to the completely unnecessary Smashmouth (that band gives me convulsions) concert at the end of the movie Rat Race, which ruined that movie for me. All of a sudden in the middle of Spiderman, there's a big festival, and Macy Gray's singing in it. Why? She scares me! Luckily it's a very short segment.


Despite these issues Spiderman is a good movie, and will definitely be better than the Matt Damon-as-a-horse cartoon that we saw a preview for. Why God why?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!