Monday, May 20, 2002

Parents, Patchwork, and Afro-Man


Actually this weekend was fairly Whiskey Tango-free, I'm sad to say. Saturday's episode of Cops did include a Patchwork sighting, this time on a male! On Cops: Mardi Gras (a must-see if it's re-run) a patchwork clad man was arrested for selling counterfeit Rolexs on Bourbon Street. The things multi-colored denim can make a man do. . .

Saturday night's adventure was a trip to Tuckaway Tavern with Melanie, Megan, Ryan, and others. Unlike the usual cover bands, Saturday night Heroes had a DJ: Eddie C. (or Z., I'm not quite sure). My only prior knowledge of Eddie C came from a friend who knew him socially and a trip to Friday's, where, for some reason, they had Wednesday night DJ's this fall, but I hadn't paid attention to him, as I was busy eating my Jack Daniel's chicken. However, after seeing the Edster at work on Saturday night, I can safely say I hadn't missed much. While Eddie, clad in a Wooly Willy shirt, would occasionally play a good song that would get people on the dance floor, he would follow it with an immediate floor clearer, for example, "Ninety-nine Luftballoons." What the hell does that song mean anyway? We'll just say Eddie doesn't seem to have much stamina. He also had an annoying pattern of scratching in the middle of the songs. No, not scratching himself, all you sick minds out there, but scratching the record in a way that really didn't go with the song. Perhaps this was one of Eddie's first big gigs and he was a bit nervous, but overall I have to say that he was no "guy in the booth at Heroes." Speaking of Heroes, it was really disconcerting to hear dance music at Tuckaway. I thought to myself, "I'm at Heroes. . .but I'm at Tuckaway. . ." My head could have exploded from the profoundness (is that a word?) of that thought.

I went to Fox Valley with my mom on Sunday. Two odd things occurred; first, I was at Victoria's Secret and I noticed the area where you could make personalized bras and thongs. One of the options was "Marry Me" written in rhinestones. Question: does the woman wear this thong in order to propose to her boyfriend when he undresses her, or does the guy buy it for the woman? Either way that's a tough story to explain to the kids later. A little while later we headed to Too Cool, the Hello Kitty/Sanrio store to find a kindergarten graduation (again, what the HELL? I never "graduated" from kindergarten, we just had to go to school all day the next year) present for my neighbor. They play some sort of Asian pop music at the store, I think it's Korean, but I could be wrong. All of a sudden, I heard a familiar melody and rhythm coming from the pink Hello Kitty boom box, and I realized it was a Korean(?) version of "Because I Got High" by Afro-Man. I thought this was an odd song to translate, and I wonder if it had the same lyrics in whatever language it was. However, I didn't feel it was appropriate to ask the employees. Also, how can Hello Kitty get high? She has no mouth!


Finally, today's Herald News had little in the blotter, but the front page carried a huge color pic of Mark and Adam Brsan (this link may not work tomorrow), aka Melanie's dad and brother! Those diehard Joliet Jackhammer fans headed out to the team's first away game against the Schaumburg Flyers. The game was called with a tie of 2-2 in the sixth inning due to rain, but I'm sure Joliet's Whiskey Tango Pride won over the crowd. We really are the "City of Champions."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Whiskey Tango: Tales From J-Town!